It has been mentioned since 1441, but the Chapel Saint Eloi d'Estavayer-le-Lac has probably existed for even longer.
On a small promontory, at the entrance to the city, stands the tiny Chapel Saint Eloi. Detonating in the hubbub of this crossroads, it offers a haven of tranquility. The door opens onto a recent statue of Our Lady of Fatima. Two wooden statuettes represent the bishops Saint Eloi and Saint William.
In Estavayer-le-Lac, corporations were numerous in the Middle Ages. One of the most famous is Saint Eloi. Already mentioned in 1395, it is probably the origin of the chapel of the same name. Political disagreements and commercial rivalries tore apart these brotherhoods which voluntarily put an end to their activity around 1600. Their assets are dispersed or turned over to communities. The bishop wants to move the Chapelle Saintt Eloi to the city. Supporters and opponents of this move are fighting. It was at this moment that the figure of the saint disappeared; it was never found again.
Since the 15th century, the Chapelle Saint Eloi has been a place of pilgrimage. We go there during epidemics. Built outside the city, it is surrounded by hedges and streams. A basin, fed by a living spring, collects the healing water. The construction of many roads around the sanctuary dried up the miraculous net. The restored stone basin is now located under the stairs of the Frog Museum.
The patron saint of the smallest chapel in Estavayer is Saint Eloi, blacksmith. He is honoured by all the corporations working, transforming or selling metals and those who make use of the hammer: not only farriers, but also goldsmiths, metallurgists, locksmiths, coachbuilders, garage owners.... He is also known as the protector of horses.