Number 18 of the historical town
From the very outset, the whole of Romont was designed as a market town without a specific square to be used for this purpose. The weekly market has been organized on Tuesdays ever since 1244. Major fairs were held in Romont, which was the largest horse-trading centre in French-speaking Switzerland at the beginning of the 20th century. Around 1900, some 800 animals were traded here every year.
An attractive neo-Gothic facade can be seen in the centre of the Grand-Rue (at no. 18). Four glass stelae* (2013) by Thomas Blank representing the four seasons can be seen along the route leading from the Grand-Rue to the station.
Most of the town’s old houses are very narrow as taxes in the Middle Ages were paid according to the width of the facade on the street.
*Stela : upright glass work by Thomas Blank.