Number 10 of the historical tour
One of the oldest inns in Romont, the Hôtel du Saint-Jacques, was welcoming pilgrims as long ago as the 16th century! It was closed around 1956 and then demolished to make way for the post office, and had almost been forgotten. The town decided to rename the square “Place Saint-Jacques” when it was redeveloped in around 1995.
This prompted a benefactor, the canon Gérard Pfulg, to offer a statue of St James for the square, created by the French sculptor Georges Jeanclos (1933-1997). His St James is a rather young man, wrapped in a strange fabric. Standing discreetly in a niche to the south west of the square, it conveys serenity and gentleness.
Jeanclos was of Jewish origin and came close to death at a very young age as he fled anti-Semitic raids. His work is inspired by this suffering. He works with clay in fine layers that he rolls up, using them to create fragile figures dressed in rags. He has worked on numerous public commissions, including the large bronze door on the French Ministry of Finance in Paris.